VOSpace vs WebDAV

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Sun May 18 09:44:15 PDT 2014

Dave Morris <dave.morris at metagrid.co.uk> wrote:
> You are right that asynchronous 3rd party transfers are responsible
> for much of the complexity in the VOSpace specification.

In that case, maybe it is better to have a separate transfer service.
Transfer services have to deal with a lot of things that a regular
WebDAV service does not.  Transfers often need to be asynchronous, but
everything else can almost always be synchronous.  That would enable
people to put up a useful, standard system quickly and then later
worry about talking to other systems (which is a ton of work).

In terms of how exactly this should be done, we might want to use the
OGSA-DMI (Open Grid Services Archtecture - Data Management Interface)

  http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.187.pdf

I have not looked at it in detail, but in general I am fond of not
reinventing the wheel.

Cheers,
Walter Landry