Document versioning and XML Schema

Brian Major majorb at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Jul 22 14:33:18 PDT 2014

Thanks for the responses Markus and Norman.  I have to agree: we need a
better way to allow schema/syntax changes.  A good first step would be to
remove the specification version number from the namespaces in the schemas,
but this should probably be discussed with the wider IVOA community.  Then
perhaps we can talk about options such as the approach taken by Schematron.
 A discussion item for Banff?

Unless there are objections (especially from VOSpace implementors), I plan,
in the next few weeks, making available for review a VOSpace 2.1 WD that
has minor XML schema changes.  I don't see the proposed changes adding any
considerable work to update existing v2.0 implementations.  Clients and
servers would have to allow for these new optional elements but aren't
required to act upon them.

Cheers,
Brian

--
Brian Major

Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
Centre canadien de données astronomiques

National Research Council Canada
Conseil national de recherches Canada