VOSI: capabilities

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 27 06:04:28 PDT 2009

Hi Guy,

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Guy Rixon wrote:
> is there any strong reason why [ParamHTTP] should not work:

I think I'm on the fence.  I was thinking about the definition:

   It describes a service interface that is invoke over HTTP via a GET or a
   POST [HTTP] in which the inputs are parameters encoded as name=value
   pairs, delimited by ampersands (&) and URL-encoded [URI]. When the
   service is invoked as a GET service, this input list is appended to a
   base URL (where the result must form a legal URL).

I guess I was thinking that since VOSI does not require parameters, this
definition doesn't fit.  However, you example illustrates a good
argument for the VOSI interface simply being a degenerate form of
ParamHTTP.

I actually would prefer *not* to introduce my suggested change at this
stage of the game, so if we are happy about with your interpretation of
the definition, let's not change things.  Any other opinions?

thanks!
Ray