VOSI: capabilities

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 27 01:17:04 PDT 2009

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Matthew Graham wrote:
> I think that we can incorporate this into the current Availability schema and
> please feel free to propose what to put in it.

Please find schema and samples attached.

A few comments:

   o  In keeping with its predecessor
      (http://www.ivoa.net/xml/Availability/v0.4), I have used
      elementFormDefault="qualified".

   o  While working on the capabilities example, I found that there is a
      problem with specifying the capability for the VOSI URL itself (see
      sect. 2.5).  When specifying the interface, where the service URL is
      given, one must specify the type of Interface (via xsi:type);
      however, there is no Interface type currently defined that is a good
      semantic match to the VOSI interface (a simple URL that resolves to
      the underlying data).

      I think the best solution to this would be to propose to add a new,
      simple Interface type (say, called "WebResource") to the
      VODataService schema which is now in RFC.  I will post a comment to
      the RFC page to this effect.

Finally, I will note that I've started using the Volute repository
(http://code.google.com/p/volute/) for files related to IVOA standards
development.  I have checked in the attached files under
trunk/projects/grid/VOSI
(http://code.google.com/p/volute/source/browse/#svn/trunk/projects/grid/VOSI).
I've also attached them to the GWS twiki page.

cheers,
Ray