UWS 1.0 suggestions

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Nov 24 03:59:56 PST 2009

On 2009-11 -24, at 09:12, Christophe Arviset wrote:

> Matthew
>
> Some general comments about the process. As you mentioned, there is
> a process in place that we should follow. As we ((un)fortunately?)
> all know, the exact dates of RFC period have been extended more than
> once in the past and it is important to take into account all the
> comments from the community.
> Now it is up to you (WG chair) and Paul (document editor) to answer
> all comments and determine which comments should be included in this
> version or deferred to a later 1.1 version. My feeling from all the
> comments on the page and the email exchanges, is that there will be
> a bit of both.
> It is then up to you again to determine if the document should go
> back in WG, extend the RFC or enter the next step in TCG review.
>
> Cheers
>
> Christophe

I believe that the majority of issues that were brought up before the
interop were discussed successfully and fell into the category of
clarifications or corrections of minor errors - I have produced a new
version of the the document (visible at http://volute.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/projects/grid/uws/doc/UWS.html)
  which was about to be formally resubmitted to the document
repository when Petr emailed his comments - so we delayed that
resubmission.

I have tried to give a detailed response to Petr in http://www.ivoa.net/forum/grid/0911/0773.htm
.

In summary:

* I think that he raises two interesting concepts - quotas and queues
- would require too much discussion/design to fully support within UWS
1.0,    but are definitely worthy of consideration in a future
version. I have tried to show how he could develop a service now that
uses those underlying concepts without violating the UWS 1.0
interface, but with some restricted functionality compared with full
support for the queues and quotas.

* Petr also expresses a desire that UWS say more about how a HTML
interface should look/behave - This was deliberately not attempted
within the specification to allow individual implementations to be as
creative with the interface as they desired, as long as they respond
with the appropriate XML responses for the specified resources. I do
not forsee UWS ever concerning itself with the details of the HTML of
the service.

* Petr has some points about including extra metadata in the job list
and job objects. I think that I have demonstrated that there is an
extensible <uws:jobInfo> element for the job object that would allow
any metadata to be added. The job list was deliberately kept "sparse"
to allow potentially large numbers of jobs to be listed in reasonable
times.

* Finally (and most easily included in the UWS 1.0) Petr suggests
making it possible to filter what is returned in the job list
dependent on the phase of the job. Even this, although a relatively
small change, I would prefer not to include in 1.0 simply because we
have not had time to prototype it

I would like to proceed pretty much with the document as it stands in
the googlecode repository - however, I would like to know what Petr
thinks of these responses.

Paul.