TAP Implementation Issues: Final Comment: TAP and UWS, sync and async

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Nov 6 10:24:07 PST 2009

Hi,

I think that Tom's implementation idea is legal wrt UWS and not
necessarily "bad" as long as the http://tap/async/id/phase?phase=run
(btw should be a POST) step returns "immediately" - in fact I had been
thinking about offering a similar generic service for people who said
that async TAP was too tricky for them (for Guy - this is what the CEA
"HTTP" style server does). Granted there might be some (internal)
inefficiency with data being transferred from the sync to the async
storage area, and that internally the UWS part might have to resubmit
the sync step if it timed out, but the behaviour to the end client
should appear to be standard UWS still.

I think that the "better" (i.e. more efficient) implementation is to
write a fundamentally async service and layer the sync service on this
as detailed in section 5 of the UWS document, but as long as the UWS
interface is adhered to then people are free to implement as they
want. However, I do not think that this requires a change to the UWS
document to say that UWS is a separate "service" as Tom suggests,
because that would favour the inefficient implementation over the
efficient one.

Paul.

Dr. Paul Harrison
JBCA, Manchester University