TAP Implementation Issues: Final Comment: TAP and UWS, sync and async

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 6 08:15:02 PST 2009

Tom,

whenever you use UWS in a service definition, you have to say what
parameters it takes when setting up a job and the work done by that
job. That's the "application of the UWS pattern" to use the terms from
the UWS standard.

The UWS specification is supposed to be reusable between applications;
hence the U in the title. Therefore, it can't specify the application-
specific parameters.

It's possible to specify a UWS-conforming service for more than one
application. CEA does this. The modern interface of this kind is
called UWS-PA ("UWS for parameterized applications") and its fore-
runner (which is SOAPy) is the Common Execution Connector. In these
kind of services, the applications are pluggable.

AstroGrid DSA/Catalogue has had a CEC interface for years. It uses a
generic CEC implementation and passes the requests through to an ADQL-
query application plugged inside it.

The downside of generalizing a job-control service in this way is
complication and divergence from the synchronous case. TAP/UWS is
quite like asynchronous TAP: you do an asynchronous query by POSTing
the same parameters you could use for a synchronous query. If you try
to use CEC or UWS-PA to start a TAP query then you have a different
interface. Because that interface is more general, it's not as simple,
either to implement in a service or to call from a client.

I think that the current boundary between TAP and UWS is just where we
need it for the simplest implementations.

Cheers,
Guy