TAP Implementation Issues: Final Comment: TAP and UWS, sync and async

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Fri Nov 6 07:33:56 PST 2009

I'm sure everyone will be happy to see the word 'Final' in the title...

In the past couple of days I've gotten the UWS asynchronous
implementation of TAP working (though doubtless still bug-ridden).

When I read and implemented the TAP and UWS standard I had the sense of
UWS as being a layer within TAP.  In retrospect I think it would have
been better (for my implementation at least), if I had distinguished
them more clearly.

Suppose we think of UWS not as an interface layer but as the definition
of how to build an asynchronous proxies.  UWS becomes a service
definition, not an access protocol.  The proxy accepts and caches input
parameters from the users, starts the underlying request when told to,
caches the response and sends it back to the user when requested.  [I
haven't followed the discussions of UWS earlier in the Grid list, so my
apologies if I just discovering what everyone already knows....]

If I think of things this way, then I can implement UWS completely
independently of the underlying application. Indeed the binding to the
underlying application could be dynamic: I can provide a UWS layer over
any number of distinct synchronous applications.    I don't need to know
anything about what parameters they use, just some root URL.  The one
piece of the  specification that might cause problems is the desire to
support multiple outputs as well as a single result.  That's not at
issue in TAP, but even this could easily be handled by returning a list
of the outputs -- which is what UWS does now anyway.

UWS is not described this way in its standards document: it is shown as
a layer within some bigger application, not as a separable entity.
Similarly TAP shows the asynchronous interface tightly coupled within
the rest of the TAP.

In this new view, the TAP document would say very little about the
asynchronous interface.  TAP itself would be synchronous, but if we want
asynchronous access to be mandatory then the requirement is that a TAP
implementation must specify a corresponding UWS service through which
the TAP implementation can be invoked.  We could still have a TAP
service that is only available asynchronously: we allow that this TAP
service is not directly callable: Only the associated UWS service can
access it.  I'm not trying to take sides here in the sync/async wars.

Changes to the UWS document would be rather more subtle, noting that the
interface can implemented without reference to the underlying
implementation, and perhaps explicitly supporting the kind of dynamic
association with the underlying synchronous service mentioned above.
Maybe provide a convenience resource to get the output in the single
output case (rather than having to parse the output list).

The advantage had we taken this approach before, is that it largely
decouples TAP and UWS.  The TAP standard is shorter and simpler.  The
UWS standard is largely unchanged.  We can change UWS in the future
without worrying about any impact on TAP.

This is probably a bridge too far in terms of the TAP standard.  For UWS
it's really a change in tone more than content -- hints to the user --
so perhaps it is doable were it to be thought a good idea.  Regardless,
I do anticipate revising my own implementation to use this approach
after the Interop.

	Tom McGlynn