Versioning

Alberto Micol alberto.micol at eso.org
Thu Jul 2 11:10:11 PDT 2009

> "The document now states that there is an integer increment in the
> version number in the case where subsequent versions are not backward
> compatible. "
> So, for example, the progression of VOSpace 2.0 would actually proceed as:
>
> VOSpace 2 (first WD)
> VOSpace 3 (second WD)
> VOSpace 4 (third WD)
> VOSpace 5 (first PR)
> VOSpace 6 (second PR)
> VOSpace 7 (final PR)
> VOSpace 8 (REC)

My way to read that is that the integer increment happens
for subsequent not backward compatible REC versions,
not during the revision process WD->PR->REC.

During the revision process only the date changes, not the version.

That is, if a REC exists with version N.m, and a new version of that
standard
is being discussed, which will bring to an accepted new Exec version
incompatible
with version N, then such new WD must be numbered (N+1).0 -- otherwise
N.(m+1) will suffice.
The WD will then become PR without the need to change version number,
but just only the date.

Wrong?

Alberto