new version of REST in the VO

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Nov 6 05:43:25 PST 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, schaaff at newb6.u-strasbg.fr wrote:

> The last version of the draft concerning the work about "REST in the VO"

I've just got round to looking at this, and it prompts a question.
This is not necessarily to be fed back into changes in the document,
I just want to know the answer (in the opinions of the Note authors).

Section 4 gives a list of REST oriented frameworks - my (limited?)
understanding of the REST approach is that it's sufficiently simple
that one can just implement, or consume, a REST service without
requiring any particular software framework or library support,
other than a standard HTTP client/server available within many
language platforms.  Is this a reasonable view?  Or is that sort
of approach to be deprecated as either being, or encouraging,
bad practice?

thanks

Mark