Possible changes to UWS

Guy Rixon guyrixon at gmail.com
Tue May 20 08:08:46 PDT 2008

Hi,

Paul Harrison reported (http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/
AsynchronousHome/ImplementingUWS-0.1.pdf) on a UWS-0.3 implementation
and suggested some changes to the UWS pattern. Here are some responses.

Change the way a job is committed for excution to "post to phase
resource". I accept the advantage of the client not addressing the
quote  object. Would it be better to allow the client to HTTP-put the
phase resource? Or HTTP-post with phase=run to the job resource itself?

Extra job state "ABORTED". Yes we could add this. Is there a
particular use case that needs it?

Distinguish termination time from destruction time. This could work,
but is it  really needed? For setting the times, HTTP-put would be
preferred.

Error object. I concur. Since the error has its own resource, I guess
the service could use an HTML representation if the client accepted
such.

Require action=DELETE on job-destruction posts. Accepted; it's a good
safeguard.

Composite metadata. I agree with the principle. We need to look very
closely at the implementation.

XML and HTML representations. UWS 0.2 did use the stylesheet link to
transform in the browser as Paul suggests. I went to the other
technique for 0.3 partly to get a comparison and partly to work
around some J2EE issues in a quick implementation. I'm happy to go
back to client-side transformation for the next draft.

"Reload later" (503) response. I'm not clear when this is to be used.
Is it instead of a 404 when an output isn't ready?