VOSI v0.4 and after

Guy Rixon guyrixon at gmail.com
Thu May 8 02:54:46 PDT 2008

Hi,

there is a new draft of the VOSI spec at http://www.ivoa.net/internal/
IVOA/IvoaGridAndWebServices/VOSupportInterfacesMandatory-0.4.pdf .
This updates and simplifies the availability schema, as I'd promised
to do at the last Interop.

If you are interested in monitoring availability of services, please
have a look at this draft and let me know if it suits your purposes.
It would be good to get this accepted in/before Trieste.

If the availability schema is acceptable, then (AFAIK) the only thing
to add to the spec is the way of registering VOSI endpoints. In
AstroGrid, we put a capability for the capabilities endpoint and a
separate one for the availability, like this:

   <capability standardID="ivo://org.astrogrid/std/VOSI/
v0.3#capabilities">
     <interface xsi:type="vs:ParamHTTP">
       <accessURL use="full">http://casx019-zone2.ast.cam.ac.uk/
community/VOSI/capabilities</accessURL>
       <queryType>GET</queryType>
       <resultType>application/xml</resultType>
     </interface>
   </capability>

   <capability standardID="ivo://org.astrogrid/std/VOSI/
v0.3#availability">
     <interface xsi:type="vs:ParamHTTP">
       <accessURL use="full">http://casx019-zone2.ast.cam.ac.uk/
community/VOSI/availability</accessURL>
       <queryType>GET</queryType>
       <resultType>application/xml</resultType>
     </interface>
   </capability>

As you can see, this uses the basic capability from VOResource - i.e.
no special schema for VOSI - and a pair of standardID values. For the
VOSI spec, we just need to choose official standardIDs to replace the
AstroGrid-prototype values. Does anybody see any problems with these:

   ivo://ivoa.net/std/VOSI#capabilities
  ivo://ivoa.net/std/VOSI#availability

If there is problem with using the fragment identifier to distinguish
the two kinds of capability in one VOStandard document, then the
simplest alternative would be

   ivo://ivoa.net/std/VOSI/capabilities
  ivo://ivoa.net/std/VOSI/availability

implying two VOStandard documents. (Can anybody from Registry-WG
comment on this? Paul? Ray?)

AstroGrid has been using the arrangement above for a while now. It
works pretty well and allows our registration UI to be concentrated
in the registry service, which was the requirement stated in Beijing.

I realize that this is all pretty boring...but if those with an
interest can agree to the ideas above then we can finish it in
Trieste and you won't be bothered with it again :)

Cheers,
Guy