UWS 0.4

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Jun 16 09:51:07 PDT 2008

On 2008-6-16 05:13, Guy Rixon wrote:
> I see UWS sites split into two classes w.r.t security: those that
> control access to the data and those that don't (the majority). The
> secured ones ought to do as you and Pat suggest. For the unsecured
> ones, access is anonymous, so there's no problem with listing the
> jobs or even the job details.

If I was to implement a UWS service that accepted anonymous job submission,
I would return a 403 (FORBIDDEN) if someone tried to GET the job list itself.
I just don't think astronomers will use something for research if anyone can
see their work in progress (or attempted work). ** this is with an otherwise
unsecured service **

IF I was to implement some sort of authenticated access (where users could see
their own jobs in the job list, or an admin role could see everything) then I
would return a 401 (UNAUTHORIZED) which says the same thing as 403 except
that authenticating will potentially change access. In vanilla http the 401
would normally include a challenge for basic or digest authentication, so the
details of the authentication mechanism may effect the legitimacy of this
(eg. have no read the SSO in detail :-)

I don't see anything in the UWS pattern that would forbid me implementing a
service this way, so I have no problem with things as they are now... just
thought I would mention that in general I would not expect the job list to be
visible.

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045