UWS 0.4

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 13 15:15:07 PDT 2008

On 2008-6-6 02:22, Paul Harrison wrote:
> I have uploaded a new version (0.4) of the UWS document

One more detail about the phase: the user can POST to the phase resource with
param PHASE=RUN  or PHASE=ABORT to switch to the EXECUTING or ABORTED
state respectively.

Minor thing: since the POST is to the phase resource, PHASE= seems redundant
(cosmetic: have to have some param name). I guess it is like:

   phase.setPhase(foo)

in a programming language... OK.

The values (RUN and ABORT) are verbs, which implies this is an ACTION. They
are definitely not the new states. I thought in REST that a POST was to
update/modify, in which case the value submitted should be the new state. At
least that way, the POST and GET would be symmetric and use the same strings
and fewer UWS constants would have to be defined.

So it would seem that a POST of the new value would be nicer, eg
PHASE=EXECUTING or PHASE=ABORTED.

For a GET operation on phase(also applies to termination and destruction):
should the mimetype of the response be text/plain and just contain a simple
string (eg caller can just strip the whitspace and parse the value)? Or is it
in the same form/mimetype as the POST? eg does GET /joblist/job/phase return

PENDING

or

PHASE=PENDING

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-6914                  | fax/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045