Definitive version of the VOTable schema for web services

Anita M. S. Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 08:16:20 PDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Ray Plante wrote:

>> astronomer
>
> I believe it was implicit in the discussion that by "astronomer" we meant the
> "scripting astronomer", one who has enough scripting ability to use, say, a
> Python module to access a web service.
>
> cheers,
> Ray

That is fine for e.g. the VO expert in a large project or students whose
project has a major fraction working  on these sorts of data, but it
excludes the majority of astronomers; whereas most astronomers do use
VOTables although most are not aware of it.  If the minority are your
target audience, fine.  Regarding the list of pacjkages from fortran to
IDL... most astronomers will learn one or two, they will _not_ learn the
whole lot.  Currently, to make best use of VOs, people need a bit of SQL
plus _one_ scripting language out of python, perl or IDL, in most cases.
That is about as much as we can expect.

cheers

Dr. A.M.S. Richards, AstroGrid Astronomer,
Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, Alan Turing Building,
University of Manchester, M13 9PL
+44 (0)161 275 4124
and
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, Jodrell Bank Observatory,
Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K. +44 (0)1477 571321 (tel) 571618 (fax)