Definitive version of the VOTable schema for web services

Guy Rixon guyrixon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:33:14 PDT 2008

Hi,

in the AstroGrid codebase, we have SOAP code generated by toolkits
that does what Ray suggests. For the registry, we have client stubs
generated by Axis that return Document objects and in the registry
service we have the matching code generated by XFire.

All this works, but gets into memory trouble with large amounts of
data; I expect the object-bound approach would fail in the same way
in the same cases. To allow arbitrary structures  in the SOAP
messages you need a toolkit (or custom code) that streams the XML:
SAX or TrAX. I believe that XFire can do something with TrAX; Kevin
would know more.

I believe that putting VOTables a la TAP output into SOAP messages is
wrong, not because the schema is difficult, but because the SOAP
toolkits generate wimpy code that can't handle the big messages. It's
a trap for naive authors of clients. This was a big driver for
turning UWS into a RESTful protocol.

Cheers,
Guy