Definitive version of the VOTable schema for web services

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Jul 29 22:19:10 PDT 2008

Hi,

OK, let's look at it this way: you have written a web service that
returns a VOTable. The WSDL document will describe your service and
specify the syntax of the request and response messages. Obviously
what you would like to say (in a machine-readable format) is that the
response message contains a VOTable. The style of web service that we
advocate (doc/lit wrapped) means that we define the datatypes that are
used in the messages in terms of XML Schema contained in the WSDL.

It is the inadequacies of the SOAP code that do not understand VOTable
that force you to think about describing your service as returning XML
or a string instead. And the WSDL then becomes a poor man's
description because there then has to be some other piece of
description that tells me as a client that this XML or string that I
am getting from your service is really a VOTable. What is that other
description? Is it machine readable? How do I find it? etc.

VOTable is a transport format that does not play very well with the
tools that are supposed to use it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew