Agenda for GWS sessions in Beijing

Guy Rixon guyrixon at gmail.com
Thu May 10 16:07:29 PDT 2007

Hi,

since the IVOA wiki-web is still down I haven't been able to post the
agenda, so I append it here.

Cheers,
Guy

---+ Agenda for GWS-WG sessions at Beijing Interop meeting

---++ Session 1: VOSpace 1.x

The VOSpace 1.x series are the SOAP-based VOSpace standards. VOSpace
1.0, which is at the WD
stage, is for the flat, isolated space. VOSpace 1.1, for which the
specification is under discussion
by an experts group, adds container (directory) hierarchies and
links between spaces; it approximates AstroGrid MySpace in function.

Three presentations (15 min each):

    * Implementing VOSpace 1.x, what works and what don't  -
Main.DaveMorris
    * ESO lessons learned from implementing VOSpace 1.0 with NGAS
backend - Main.PaulHarrison
    * VOSpace 1.x - Main.MatthewGraham

Followed by discussion on changes required for 1.1.

Links :
    * [[http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VOSpaceHome][VOSpace
home page]]
    * [[http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/cover/VOSpace-20070304.html]
[VOSpace 1.0 specification]]
    * [[http://ivoa.net/forum/vospace/index.htm][VOSpace mailing list]]

Objective: decide where we are going with VOSpace 1.1

---++ Session 2: RESTful services

This session covers services to the REST paradigm, including
particularly:

    * UWS;
    * extensions to DAL services for data staging;
    * RESTful versions of VOSpace (which may appear as the VOSpace
2.x series).

Email discussions suggest that just about everybody prefers REST to
SOAP and that all new
standards for IVOA should be RESTful rather than SOAPy. If you
disagree, then this is your
best chance to put your point of view.

Talks:

    * REST paradigm compared with SOAP - Main.NormanGray
    * REST vs WS-* - Main.MatthewGraham
    * Rest binding to UWS (including demonstration) - Main.GuyRixon
    * Data staging techniques for DAL - Main.DougTody
    * VOSpace-2.x, REST and WebDAV - Main.PaulHarrison

We shall be tight for time in this session, so please make your talks
brief enough to allow
time for discussion.

Objective: shared understanding of what REST means and how we can
exploit it.
But specifically, I want to find out how well UWS v0.3 fits with
other, planned IVOA standards
and to decide who will be the authors for the later, more-refined
drafts of UWS.

Links:
    * [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REST][Description of REST
paradigm]]
    * [[][UWS specification v0.3]]

---++ Session 3: SSO and VOSI

Talks:

    * The NVO Identity Services and Suppport for Secure Portals -
Main.RayPlante
    * Reference implementations for SSO components - Main.GuyRixon

Followed by a short open forum for any attendees to speak on their
security work
(no slides needed). Hopefully, we can get through the security part
in the first
half of the session.

Second half of session: what to do with VOSI. This naturally follows
on from the
discussions in Registry-WG about how to harvest rich metadata. If
those discussions
reach consensus, then we should be able to decide how VOSI should
come out. If
there is no consensus then we can't say anything sensible about VOSI
and we can finish
early.

Links:

    * [[http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/latest/SSOAuthMech.html][V1.0WD
of the SSO-mechanism standard]]
    * [[][V0.26 of VOSI specification]]

Objective: plans for V1.0 WD of VOSI, dependent on outcomes in
Registry-WG.

-- Main.GuyRixon - 10 May 2007