role of the registry

Anita M. S. Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Thu May 10 10:57:12 PDT 2007

> The registry was conceived as a resource location service.  The formative
> document describes resource metadata.The name of the working group is
> Resource Registry.  There has been debate for a long time on how far to push
> the registry in the direction of detailed service-level metadata.
> This is not unique to the registry, but it is clear in the case of
> the registry that even the simple stuff is not done well or completely.

If you mean that people don;t use it 'well or completely' then I agree,
but there is a difference between implimenting it wrongly, and
implimenting it correctly but superficially.
As a data provider, I want a tool to help me register the content,
including coarse coverage, and basic curation and access information.  I
will also provide tools/services particularly useful for these data and I
want to be able to describe them, too.  If
I published tables, then the column names and metadata _might_ be
appropriate.  On the other hand, if I have 100 tables each with 100
columns, it might not be.

At present, almost all this is covered in the human language RM document,
although tool publishing is a little rough.  I am distressed to learn from
engineers that the schemata may not be consistent with this, and even more
distressed if I am told that in order to understand the model, I have to
read the schemata (as mentioned in another posting).  I am probably fairly
typical of data providers in that, given a nice XML editor - or better
still, a form interface - and some instructions and examples, I can just
about fill in a document, but not evaluate it critically and we should not
expect users to have to read schemata!

Even if you don't agree that column names are useful, they are optional,
like much else in the RM document.  Much as I rant about data providers
who dont include proper coverage information, I agree with it being
optional because ultimately the providers have to decide what is
appropriate for their data sets.

> I have never been convinced by the arguments for including things like table
> column names and UCDs in the registry.  The use case recently cited, that of
> dynamically building SEDs by locating catalogs with relevant columns would,
> I think, never be trusted by astronomers doing research.

On the contrary, Bob, it is invaluable at present via Vizier or AstroGrid
or even Google _because other more accurate metadata aren't always
available_.  UCDs in particular are useful.  It depends what you are
doing, but for finding potentially interesting data it is certainly
useful.  You can always check more thoroughly as needed...

> I suggest that everyone take a deep breath, step away from their desks for a
> while, and try to recall what the VO is really about.  Key issues are data
> discovery, interoperability, and a low barrier to participation.

Exactly, which is why in my view, we should prioritise
a) making sure that the human-language documentation and the schemata are
consistent;
b) encourating affiliated VOs to develop tools to make it easy to register
resources;
c) if necessary, improving the provision for registering tools
and finally
d) make sure that things are labelled as 'must', 'should', 'may' or
equivalent so that the buy-in is very simple but people who do want to
provide more information can do so, especially where there are tools to
use it (as is the case for column names and especially UCDs!).

thanks

Dr. Anita M. S. Richards, AstroGrid Astronomer
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, University of Manchester,
Jodrell Bank Observatory, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K.
tel +44 (0)1477 572683 (direct); 571321 (switchboard); 571618 (fax).