role of the registry

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue May 8 09:20:39 PDT 2007

 > The registry was conceived as a resource location service.

No, it was conceived as a resource description service, only one part of
which was location.

 > document describes resource metadata.

The RM document was only ever a starting point, not an end in itself. It
has only ever described the core metadata, not the detail. The schema
documents contain the detail.

In the longer term, the goal was always that individual groups would
determine their own extensions to the base resource schema but the
registry group contained the expertise to do that initially. I would
hope the workgroups are now able to take over that task such that
registry extension schemas become part of their service standards.

T.

--
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)785 298 8840
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311    Email:  Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy,
         University of Leicester
         Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH
Web:    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~ael

Project Manager, EuroVO VOTech   http://eurovotech.org