UWS as a REST protocol

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 02:30:06 PST 2007

On 8 Mar 2007, at 05:59, Doug Tody wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Matthew Graham wrote:
>
>> You're right about the HTTP Accept header but this is difficult to
>> set from a browser.
>
> I'm about a week behind on this thread, but HTTP Accept actually only
> deals with what the client is prepared to accept at the level of the
> HTTP protocol; the client says it can accept any of these formats and
> it is up to the service to pick the best one.  The FORMAT stuff in a
> DAL access reference on the other hand, deals with what an upstream
> client requests for a data format (after having reviewed a set of
> options specified by the service and having picked one), which is
> quite a different thing.

Hi Doug,
Could you explain a little further - is your distinction that the DAL
protocols include a mechanism for determining which formats are
available before the data is requested?

> Also; some of this could be moved to the level of the HTTP protocol
> (protocol level compression is a prime example) but this is
> inadvisable
> for functionality which we may want to map transparently onto multiple
> protocols.  HTTP Accept is an example of something which we want to
> deal with transparently at the level of the wire protocol; HTTP in
> this case.

As I understand it, REST advocates view HTTP as much greater than a
wire protocol, for them it's an application protocol.  So, I guess
the question is why would you invent another application protocol if
one already exists that will do the job, is proven to be successful,
and is widely supported.