UWS as a REST protocol - VOSpace & WebDAV

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 4 11:01:48 PST 2007

Hi,

The first VOSpace implementation I produced two years ago had a full
WebDAV interface on it but that was more to act as one of the data
transfer methods than to handle metadata requests. Conceptually VOSpace
has a messaging channel for the metadata (currently SOAP) and a transfer
channel for the actual data bytes (whatever protocol the space wants to
use): WebDAV actually seems like overkill for the messaging channel
since all you need is CRUD-support and not all the other extensions that
WebDAV provides - it's the old
using-a-jack-hammer-to-put-in-a-carpet-tack analogy. In fact, I think
that this is not the interface to use if we are talking about proposing
our *own* extensions to WebDAV - we then end up with a homegrown
interface that every desktop computer on the planet cannot use just as is.

    Cheers,

    Matthew