UWS as a REST protocol - VOSpace & WebDAV

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Sun Mar 4 02:49:28 PST 2007

On 26.02.2007, at 17:46, Matthew Graham wrote:

> I think that this looks very promising and is line with similar
> thoughts that I have had about a RESTful interface for VOSpace -
> I've started writing these up and will hopefully have time to
> finish this some time soon.

surely the overwealmingly predominant RESTful file management web
service is WebDAV? Just about every desktop computer on the planet
has a WebDAV client bundled with the OS.  I'm writing an
implementation of VOSpace that also has a Webdav interface to the
same metadata to investigate the possibilities. Perhaps we should be
proposing extensions to WebDAV to cope with some of the useful
VOSpace qualities - e.g. physical location independence via the vos:
scheme, and asynchronous data transfer.

Paul Harrison
ESO Garching
www.eso.org