Logging question/suggestion

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Fri May 26 21:43:37 PDT 2006

Unfortunately we did not have a chance to discuss this general issue
of a "logging enabled service" at the interop, although it came
up briefly in the closing plenary.  This was discussed extensively
within US-NVO several months ago and we reached the conclusion that
a separate logging service is what is really required.

It does not make a whole lot of sense for every service instance to
have to be able to keep a log of all accesses and be able to report
this information, or periodically upload it, to some remote client.
Instead a service instance, when it is invoked, should generate
logging messages which are sent to a separate logging service at
the site.  This logging service can record the information in a
DBMS, file, or whatever, and support standard methods for querying
log information or uploading it as desired.  The scope would be ALL
service instances at the site.  This approach would greatly simplify
the logging requirements we place on service instances while allowing
a more sophisticated logging capability.

It follows that if service instances have limited logging capabilities,
one cannot use a logging interface to implement asynchronous activities
at the service level.  Rather, what one has at the level of a service
is the ability to generate messages when events occur during execution,
which can go to the client or clients or to a logging service.
In the case of a long-running service the service should also be able
to respond to polling requests for status.  Possibly this can all be
done with a simple HTTP interface which passes SOAP-encoded events,
e.g., polling for status could be just another GET or SOAP operation
the service supports (both returning the same SOAP-encoded response),
and asynchronous messaging is easy if the client merely keeps an HTTP
connection open during execution.  SMTP message delivery is also possible
but HTTP is probably more appropriate for most services.  - Doug