VOstore -- context document?

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 5 11:08:45 PDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Roy Williams wrote:

> Guy Rixon wrote:
>
> >the main AstroGrid usage is simple. In an executing job, each job step is a
> >filter that maps zero or more inputs to zero or more outputs.
> >
> Can I simplistically say this?
>
> (1) We both want single signon security.

Yes; but we want it in more than just VOStores and this influences the form it
takes.

> (2) VOStore services are avialable through SOAP only

The Store services are SOAP only. The data - what you called the outrigger
payloads in previous email - may be accessed via other protocols. Therefore, a
non-SOAPy service might be given a URL to an OP by a SOAPy workflow agent.

> (3) Astrogrid wants reliable, asynchronous, third-party transfer as a
> priority.

Yes.

> (4) NVO priority is to have table structure as a primitive concept,
> interoperable between multiple formats, including CSV and VOTable.

Probably.

> (5) The other VO projects are waiting for US and UK to agree and make a
> consistent presentation of VOStore context/meaning/reasoning

Probably. You mean, I presume, that we should write the context document
before arguing about the details? I'd support that.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523