SSO authentication: a new approach

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 20 22:45:32 PST 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Guy Rixon wrote:
> it's always been the AstroGrid plan that group membership would be managed in
> community services, not at service-provider sites. This is to remove from
> the providers the admin burden of herding ~10,000 users.

I think this needs some thought.  Groups are the focal point of
authorization policies which are decided ultimately by service providers.
I think that they will want full control over their creation and
management.  In practice, I envision groups be created at the portal
level.

Consider the case of the PI-driven observatory.  They will be continuously
creating many groups around telescope proposals to support propietary
access to data.  It is not until a particular group created by the
observatory wants to interoperate at a broader level--that is, the group
wants additional priviledges from other sites assigned to that group--that
community coordination becomes necessary.  I can think of several ways to
handle this:

  a. the observatory uses a community service to define the group.  This
     can be probablamatic for the observatory if access to the community
     service is occasionaly disrupted.

  b. the observatory defines the group themselves, but uses a community
     service to register it.  The intended difference here is that
     registering is not required to start assigning local priviledges and
     letting the users use it.  Registration could be
     user-triggered; that is, postponed until the group wants to
     explicitly "go global".

  c. don't have any community-wide notion of a group because, perhaps,
     it's not needed.  Groups would only be defined on a per-portal basis.
     As long as we have community-recognized user identities, portals and
     services will always be able to resolve a user's priviledges.  The
     fact that they operate as a member of one group and from a different
     one at another site may not matter.  Of course, we still need the
     community notion of an anonymous group...

It sounds like you Astrogrid guys have some use cases/examples in mind
about how you see this working for you.  Anything written out I could
look at?

cheers,
Ray