SSO authentication: a new approach

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Mon Mar 14 23:37:58 PST 2005

Ray's "weak certificate" does not prove who the person is in a real-world context, but
only for example that the reader of data be the same as the writer.

In my "HotGrid", (*) I would extract a description of what they are doing and who they are
through simple registration -- in exchange for a *quantitative* increase in some sort of
limit -- a limit that is more stringent for anonymous users.

The OpenSkyNode.net at Baltimore truncates SQL queries at 5,000 and all users are
anonymous. Perhaps they would allow 50,000 for those who have registered.

This kind of information about usage looks fabulous in an Annual Report.

Roy

(*) http://us-vo.org/pubs/files/hotgrid.pdf

--------
California Institute of Technology