Web service standards - what comes first, the doc or the object?

Martin Hill mch at roe.ac.uk
Wed May 26 08:30:50 PDT 2004

Well... you always have a document on the wire.  The thing is do you start from
your objects and auto-generate the document (often invisibly), or do you start
from the documents and have special marshallers/serialisers to convert from doc
to your objects?

The VO approach (and other broad-based services) is to start with the document.
This is the most inconvenient from the coders point of view, as you can't just
throw your objects to the web interface and have them get magically serialised
and sent (or v.v.).  However it's the only way that works between
languages/webservers, as each has it's own way of doing the 'magically
serialised' bit.  The only way we can get our services is to agree the documents
being transferred, and then work out our own ways to get those docs in and out
of our favourite languages.

However I think there are now VOTable marshallers for .NET (Wil?) and java
(SAVOT) so you can use those to help.

Cheers,

Martin

--