Deferred port-type

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 10:29:10 PDT 2004

Something I thought of while looking at the SkyNode spec just now was that
perhaps we need some way for a service to indicate (through its registry
entry? its wsdl?) that it supplies some aspects of a standard interface
through another interface: so a port-type is supplied by another service.

What I had in mind was about SkyNode. Many data services will not want to
have to supply detailed metadata when it is already supplied via the
registry. If there was some way for it to indicate that the GetMetadata,
Tables, Columns etc port-types were to be resolved by calling another
service using set information (eg a registry service with its resourceID as
parameter) then it could still meet the interface without needing extra
coding.

The same could apply to, say, the getAvailability port-type for services
which are clustered together with a single management service which looks
after their availability.

Is this possible?

Cheers,
Tony.