MSO and multiple communities

Dave Morris dave at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 08:27:03 PDT 2004

Clive Page wrote:

>.... And after all, it's not money we're talking about, it's just
>astronomical data.  The intrinsic value is about zero.  We need to keep a
>sense of proportion.

True, most services will be database providers, and most of the data is
(semi) public.
So access control on who is allowed to read the data does not need to be
highly secure.
However, access control on who is allowed to change the data needs to be
more secure.

In addition some services may allow control over remote instruments,
telescopes rovers etc.
For example see
http://robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/people/jnorris/WITS-IEEEAS00.pdf
" ... (the system) was used for generating command sequences for the
lander's robotic arm and camera ...."
In which case, these services will need a much higher level of access
control and security.

We are struggling to implement a single signon system that meets all of
these conflicting requirements.

Dave