MSO and multiple communities

Dave Morris dave at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 05:56:50 PDT 2004

Both approaches have problems, and neither solves the complexity, it
just moves it around.
As you say, choosing one or the other makes some things simpler, and
others much more complex.

So far in AstroGrid Community, we have been working towards one globally
unique Account, registered with a single Community.
The Community service manages identity for Accounts registered with that
Community.
The Community service also manages membership of Groups registered with
that Community.
An Account (identity) is registered with one Community, but will be a
member of multiple Groups at multiple Communities.
Access rights are checked based on membership of groups (credentials).

This is a rough outline of the kind of thing we were aiming for (some of
this is out of date now).
http://wiki.astrogrid.org/bin/view/Astrogrid/CrossCommunityPolicyChecking

Would it work if a Community issued a warrant (certificate) when an
Account joined a Group at that Community ?
An Account would then have a primary identity certificate signed by
their 'home' Community, to prove who they are, plus a set of membership
certificates signed by other Communities to prove that they belong to
Groups on those Communities.

Dave