Message protocol for SSO

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 01:18:47 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've posted the message-protocol document for the SSO profile:

http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaGridAndWebServices/SSO-msg-protocol.html

Significant changes since the original proposal:

1. The nonce is now in a wsu:Timestamp element instead of a wss:UsernameToken.
UsernameToken is maybe not so appropriate since it implies an alternative
authentication that we don't plan to support. wsu:Timestamp doesn't normally
contain wss:Nonce but is extensible (contains an Any), so can be used.

2. I've dropped SAML as an allowed type of warrant: X.509 is now the only
option. This is because I don't understand enough of SAML to pick the right
elements and SAML is a vast standard with gobbledegook documentation.  If
anybody can honestly tell us the "right" SAML elements to use, then we can put
them in our profile.  Otherwise, I suggest that we go with X.509 for now and
return to SAML when best practice is known (or when the O'Reilly book comes
out; post the ISBN if you know it's out already).

The PKI document is to follow today or tomorrow.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523