Free Certification Authority

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 2 06:42:55 PDT 2004

Yes, you're right, they have a self-signed site certificate.  I guess that's
OK in this context (gotta trust them if you use them, so gotta trust their
site cert)... except it would be really sad if A. Ttacker was able to spoof
www.cacert.org and grab passwords.  I'd have gone with a Verisign cert for the
sign-up site.

I'm part-way through their registration process.  When I get a bit further,
they'll tell me where I have to go to register properly.

BTW, they have _two-level_ registration. Basic level, which you do by email
only, gives you a certficate with a generic name. This lets you do digital
signature and encryption, I guess, but doesn't authenticate an individual
identity. It's like our community-membership thing.  The second level, they
call it "assurance", is where you show physical ID and that gets you a
certficate for your personal identity. Interesting that the community
identity has weaker protection than the personal identity.  I guess this is
because in _their_ model, more authorization is by personal identity than by
community membership.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523