Registry Interface and SOAP versions

Ray Plante rplante at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 13 23:50:48 PST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Matthew J. Graham wrote:
> What version of SOAP is the Registry Interface WSDL supposed to be
> supporting?

This certainly needs to be stated explicitly in the RI spec.  When I
looked into this issue earlier this year, it appeared we were supporting
1.1.  Our leading toolkits supported SOAP 1.1 by default.  Furthermore, we
were using WSDL 1.0 which defines binding only for SOAP 1.1.  Given this,
it seemed sensible to go with 1.1.

I'm not sure it's prudent to go to SOAP 1.2 while WSDL 2.0 is still in WD,
unless someone can spell out clearly how 1.2 can be used with WSDL 1.0
(using the usual toolkits).

> Does this mean that we are only supporting SOAP 1.1? If so, what is the
> timeline for moving to SOAP 1.2 support, which, after all, has been a
> W3C Recommendation for over a year and a half?

It would be good to get a statement from the Grid&WS WG on this issue.

cheers,
Ray