policy/authorization and terminology on grid styles

Kevin Benson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 30 07:47:31 PST 2003

Hello I am on an action item from the conference to explain how Astrogrid
deals with credentials, authorization, and authentication.  I will try to
have it by early to middle of next week sorry for the delay.

Also I would like to mention something that probably several of you
already know, but it is just a terminology thing that I noticed at the
conference and also at Astrogrid that gets people confused.  Blame Axis
toolkit on this.
That is like the different syles you can do.
1.) RPC which needs no real explaining
2.) document style - well here is the confusion, much like Guy mentioned
this is about inserting an xml document into the soap envelope hence
building the message yourself.  Well Axis document style is much like RPC
except the encoding is literal and it has a java binding mechanism for
your java objects you have.  But when you look at it in many other
websites document style is about building the soap xml message itself.  So
I just wanted to clear that up.
3.) Wrapped style is just like document style and I think this is the
default for .Net again Axis does the java binding much like it's document
style.  Only difference i think is wrapped style in Axis is more parameter
based
and does not let you do complex type (java bean objects) as parameters to
your webservices
4.) Axis-message style now we finally have what is known as document style
to many other websites.  This is what you use to do all the building of
soap messages yourself.

Also on a side note:
To give my 2 cents about standard styles to use.  Well I would sort of
vote on getting rid of RPC style.  I believe WS-I has banned it or really
warns on not to use it correct me if I am wrong.  Plus look at this link
for its performance not
good.
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soapenc/

Keep in mind the above link says document style(doc-style) this is
Axis-message style.  The Axis document and wrapped style is sort of in
between on their graphs (in between their RPC and Doc-style graphs)
because Axis and I would think .Net would be the same do the binding
mechanism to bind things into objects, but still has better performance
than RPC probably because of its encoding.  And also I must say I am
usually not in
favor of the doc-style(axis message style) either.  I like what Guy
mentions Document style with bindings which is what .Net does and Axis
Document and wrapped style)

Okay this e-mail is getting long.  I am logging off for awhile
Kevin