[Edu] 8) Software for Accessible Astronomical Images Now Available

Chenzhou Cui ccz at bao.ac.cn
Wed May 26 15:34:13 CEST 2021

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	IAU Astronomy Outreach Newsletter #2 May 2021
Date: 	Wed, 26 May 2021 13:00:37 +0000
From: 	IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach <outreach at iau.org>
To: 	ccz at bao.ac.cn

IAU Astronomy Outreach Newsletter #2 May 2021 The latest news from the
astronomy outreach and education community around the world!
View on browser
<https://mailchi.mp/iau/iauoutreachnewsletter_2021may2?e=43653b896f>

IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach Twitter
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=04e782035b&e=43653b896f>

IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach Facebook
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=7ddc23a7da&e=43653b896f>

IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach Website
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=591ee172ca&e=43653b896f>

IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach Flickr
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=75bab3b436&e=43653b896f>

IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach Youtube
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=4019ba3ee3&e=43653b896f>

  IAU Astronomy Outreach Newsletter

    #2 May 2021

In this newsletter:

0) From the Editors <##1>
1) Thanks for a Successful International Day of Light
2) IAU Vacancy: IAU OAO International Outreach Officer
3) NOCs Funding Scheme Awardees Announced
4) Lunar Eclipse Resources from NOCs
5) NOC News: Training Workshop for the Protection of the Environment in
the Gobi Desert
6) The Open Notebook Science Journalism Master Classes
7) MIT Science Journalism Lecture Series
8) Software for Accessible Astronomical Images Now Available
9) Featured Activities Event & Online Resources Repository <##1>
10) IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach Newsletter in Other Languages <##10>
11) Contributions to IAU Outreach Newsletter <##11>

  *0) From the Editors*

/Dear friends and colleagues,/

/It is here! This week is the Communicating Astronomy with the Public
Conference (CAP Conference)! We hope that you are joining us for the
conference, to connect with colleagues in the public communication of
astronomy. If you aren’t, the next CAP Conference is set to be held in
Australia in 2022 and we hope you consider joining us then.

We in the IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach (IAU OAO) are excited to
include a number of announcements from our office and IAU National
Outreach Coordinators. Of note is the job opening in our office, where
we will begin the selection process on 15 July. Additionally, our NOC
Mongolia is part of the organising committee for a workshop combining
astronomy and environmental sustainability, and they welcome abstracts
for presentations from anywhere in the world through 1 June. Both are
open to anyone around the world. We hope you will consider applying to
each or forward these announcements to people you know who might be
interested in them.

This newsletter also includes helpful resources for improving your
astronomy outreach skills. Two organisations, The Open Notebook and
Knight Science Journalism at MIT, have created programmes to improve
science journalism skills. And speaking of programmes, our colleagues in
the United States have released a free new software program that makes
astronomical images more accessible. Please see below for links to all
of these.

//Wishing you the clearest skies and good health!/
/Izumi Hansen, on behalf of the IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach Team/

*1) Thanks for a Successful International Day of Light*

Thank you for participating in raising awareness of dark and quiet skies
during the International Day of Light. The IAU Office for Astronomy
Outreach (IAU OAO) from 15-17 May shared resources from the IAU National
Outreach Coordinators (NOCs) and engaged people on social media with
contemplating the role of light in astronomy. You in the community
shared events and resources in 10 languages from five continents over
the weekend.

Learn more here: https://www.iau.org/public/darkskiesawareness/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=1ed2990aab&e=43653b896f>

Our next IAU Global Outreach Project event will be the 100 Hours of
Astronomy, so please keep an eye out for more information over the summer.

*2) IAU Vacancy: IAU OAO International Outreach Officer*

The IAU Office for Astronomy Outreach (IAU OAO) is seeking a new
International Outreach Officer to join the team to support IAU OAO
activities. The position is open worldwide. The selection process will
begin after 15 July 2021.

Learn more here: https://iau.org/news/announcements/detail/ann21032/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=3a0ddf817d&e=43653b896f>

*3) Lunar Eclipse Resources from NOCs*

IAU National Outreach Coordinators (NOCs) have shared resources and
events so that anyone in the world can observe the total lunar eclipse
on 26 May 2021. We’ve gathered these onto one webpage so anyone in the
world can easily observe the eclipse.

Learn more here: https://iau.org/public/noc/eclipse/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=d626268573&e=43653b896f>

*4) NOC News: Training Workshop for the Protection of the Environment in
the Gobi Desert*

NOC Mongolia Tsolmon Renchin and a local team have organised a workshop
to broaden horizons on the cultural and environmental protection of the
Gobi Desert from the perspective of astronomy. The virtual workshop and
in-person outreach activities are funded by the IAU Office of Astronomy
for Development (IAU OAD). Registration and abstract submissions close
on 1 June 2021.

Learn more here: https://sas.num.edu.mn/IAU100/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=0d06d11949&e=43653b896f>

/Thank you to Tsolmon Renchin for sharing this news item with us./

*5) World Space Week Women In Science Talk Series*

The IAU Office of Astronomy for Development (IAU OAD) has partnered with
World Space Week for a lecture series on Women in Science. These talks
occur every few months leading up to World Space Week in October and the
public is invited to join.

Learn more here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/o/world-space-week-association-32869594749
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=1ca2986d09&e=43653b896f>

*6) The Open Notebook Science Journalism Master Classes*

The Open Notebook is releasing free science journalism master classes to
help develop relevant skills like finding and vetting story ideas and
writing impactful stories. These classes are done through email and can
be started at any time.

Learn more here:
https://www.theopennotebook.com/science-journalism-master-classes/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=b05a3f4105&e=43653b896f>

*7) MIT Science Journalism Lecture Series*

The Knight Science Journalism programme at the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology (MIT) in the US is holding free monthly webinars about
science journalism. The series is conducted in relation to the release
of a free handbook for science journalists.

Learn more here:
https://ksjhandbook.org/webinar/science-editing-webinar-series/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=cfb98473b2&e=43653b896f>

*8) Software for Accessible Astronomical Images Now Available*

The Afterglow Access (AgA) software is a newly available programme that
makes analysis of astronomical images (FITS) files more accessible for
people who are blind or visually impaired, as well as sighted people.
The programme was created by the Innovators Developing Accessible Tools
for Astronomy (IDATA) team in the US.

Learn more here: https://idataproject.org/resources/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=6dad0fee68&e=43653b896f>

/Thank you to Tim Spuck for sharing this resource with us./

*9) Featured Activities Event & Online Resources Repository*

a) Communicating Astronomy with the Public (CAP) Conference Virtual
Location: Virtual
Date: 24–27 May 2021
Website https://www.communicatingastronomy.org/cap2021/
<https://iau.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0ecb46e29196a0f367daf3dd6&id=e189de03c6&e=43653b896f>

b) Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) 2020+1
Location: Virtual