[Edu] edu Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

aig at ucm.es aig at ucm.es
Wed Mar 5 05:51:59 PST 2014

Dear Marco,

my answers:

> I agree with you that a dedicate metadata description of the educational data is useful, however
> the aim of the proposed flagging is to clearly identify educational resources versus (let's call
> them) professional ones. The flagging system you're proposing has its goal in a subsequent
> refined search of resources. Maybe I have to explicit better this distinction in the Note.

Fine

> > 1b. A flagging system associated with subject and target age is highly desirable for the
> educational resources you may plan to plug into the system (take a glance to
> www.houspain.com/gttp  for a possible approach (our approach) to the problem)
>
> I'm not sure I'm getting the point here. Subject and target are already taken into consideration
> in the VO world, here we're not trying to finalize something new, only specifying edu needs
> within the existing infrastructure.

Fine about including subject and target. I do not know how "subject" is
structured for education in the VO world. Maybe you could give some tips?

> > 2. Language. In the educational system English is not as widespread as in the scientific
> environment. We keep having to translate documents, applications to all EU languages within
> EU-HOU. My question is, could VO nodes take over the task  of translating some core documents?.
>
> Translation effort is a big issue, EURO-VO partners have some experience on this. The issue
> arises because translation is something that is contributed. What do you mean exactly with core
> documents?

Documents one MUST read to understand the basic operations of the system
for the intended purpose (in education, I mean).

Cheers, Ana

Prof. Ana I Gomez de Castro
AEGORA Research Team
Universidad Complutense de Madrid