ObsCore's data_rights and VODataService - broken reference

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 19:35:10 CEST 2023

CAOM includes a data release date value that we include in our ivoa.ObsCore
view; beyond that we
use GMS group identifiers to indicate who is allowed to access data when
data release date is not in
the past (null or future means proprietary, past means "public"). After
many years of dealing with
proprietary telescope data, none of the simpler seeming middle ground is
worth the effort so I know
we won't try to do anything with data_rights.

other related tidbit:

DataLink-1.1 includes 2 optional fields related to telling clients about
auth requirements; that's driven mainly
by clients wanting to decide "if I use this link, will it work or will I
get rejected?". That seems to conceptually
overlap with data_rights but happens down at the resource (file) level...
It's often the case that rights differ at
this level (e.g. public thumbnail or preview but proprietary data) so such
an indicator at the discovery level
(ObsCore or CAOM) isn't very useful in practice.

Otherwise: the erratum looks good to fix the reference issue.
--
Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre