Various minor problems in VO-DML repo

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Feb 23 17:20:56 CET 2023

Hi,

Sorry if I'm getting things jumbled here..
If I'm reading this thread right:
  o Markus is creating annotated VOTables
  o per the MIVOT spec, sees there is a 'url' element which he wants to
populate.
     ** perhaps mistakenly thinking it is required, or just being thorough.
  o what value to put there?
     MIVOT says it is the URL to the vodml/xml file.  He knows where those
are.
     So, minimally all he needs is to copy the URL from the IVOA Doc &
Standards
     page and use that in his annotation block.
        e.g: "https://www.ivoa.net/xml/VODML/Coords-v1.vo-dml.xml"
  o but.. being super thorough, he knows that the VODML spec says there is
     a MODEL node within the vodml/xml file which has a 'uri' element
specifying
     the value which should go in the annotation.
     - unfortunately, NONE of the vo-dml/xml files in the official
repository have
       a value in that field.  And, ironically, the ivoa model doesn't even
have the
       field, and does not validate.

So, while I don't see this as a major problem or indictment of our work to
date,
I do agree that:
   1) the ivoa model vo-dml/xml file in the repository should validate
   2) the other model vo-dml/xml files should have a valid value in the uri
field
       (though it's worth is questionable and can be discussed as a change
        to the VODML spec, this field really isn't intended to be empty).

   > So... who will fill in the uri-s?
   I'm on vacation next week, but can take on an action to provide copies
of the
   current vo-dml/xml files with the 'uri' element filled in.  Half of them
are mine anyway.

As for DaCHS:
  If you are storing local copies of the vo-dml/xml files, this field is
  the place to store 'where it came from'.  And for non-rec models,
  this is especially important since you can't guess.

  This workflow is an argument for the value of the vodml model.uri element
  being mandatory (and non-empty). To support these cases, and to support
  local extensions to models.. with vo-dml/xml files published outside the
ivoa repo.

Mark