Various minor problems in VO-DML repo

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 14:16:10 CET 2023

> On 23 Feb 2023, at 12:07, Markus Demleitner <msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>

>>> local copies of those[1] and hence can't easily tell what URIs they
>>> may prefer.
>> for tne record:
>> The MIVOT schema requires MODEL at url not be empty IF PRESENT.
>> <MODEL name=“MyModel”/> is valid.
>>
>> I like the Paul's idea of encouraging the usage of short URLs e.g.
>> "MyModel.v1.vom-dml.xml” and letting clients getting them from
>> their favorite place (file:// or https://ivoa.net <https://ivoa.net/>
>> <https://ivoa.net/>…) This must be clarified in the MODEL section
>> of MIVOT.
>>
>> Would this help DACHS for dealing with documents with empty uri?
>
> Well, if I don't have to put in the URIs, I'll just look the other
> way when there's empty URIs.  But it would certainly be wise to
> inquire again why exactly the uri element was made mandatory in
> VO-DML.  It sure feels... odd to decide to have a mandatory element
> that is in general empty, and we might block some important thing
> that the VO-DML authors had in mind.

I do not know the motivation either, but I suspect that it was a combination of it making some of the
XSLT in the “standard” VO-DML processing tools easier to write, and …

>> AS Paul said, you can cross-check the document URI with its content
>
> ...except for VO-DML files not (yet) in the IVOA repo.  I suspect
> that's why people came up with the uri element in the first place.
> But at this point I think that's another of our lesser problems.

I have spent a fair amount of time making the “standard” VO-DML processing tools both more rigorous
and easier to use (https://github.com/ivoa/vo-dml) and I think that I have pragmatic solutions for both automatically picking up the standard models and being able to develop a new model (or even an updated version of a standard model) locally. This is done as I suggested before without using any absolute URIs to locate models. Admittedly I am probably the only person using these tools at the moment, and others might find modes of operation that they want that the tooling will not work with…

The current mode of operation of these tools would definitely require some updating of and clarifications in the VO-DML standard, but I think that the updates would qualify as minor.

Paul.