Various minor problems in VO-DML repo

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Feb 23 10:42:46 CET 2023

Hello,

> On 23 Feb 2023, at 08:45, Markus Demleitner <msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>
> Dear DM,
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 06:55:53PM +0100, Laurent Michel wrote:
>> However I’m not satisfied with the way those VODML files are
>> published because the physical URLs e.g
>> https://ivoa.net/xml/VODML/<Model>-v1.8.vo-dml.xml
>> <https://ivoa.net/xml/VODML/%3CModel%3E-v1.8.vo-dml.xml> are
>> hidden.  Both links should be visible on the XML page.
>
> Let me say I'm unconvinced there is much value having all the past
> minor versions lying around.  They probably will, in the end,
> analogous to what happens with schemas, but, really, I have a hard
> time imagining why anyone would want to access an old schema file
> except in very rare circumstances (that we can now cover with version
> control).
>
> And lugging the old minor versions around does have a price tag.  For
> instance, these minor-versioned URIs may tempt people into putting
> these into MIVOT's MODEL/@url.   Whether or not that's bad is an
> interesting question (which perhaps also should be addressed in
> MIVOT).  If this were XML, it'd be a disaster.

My point of view is that minor-versioned documents are related to existing standards,
therefore they must keep available on the doc repo as long as the (old) standards exists.
Hiding the minored versions is somehow like prohibiting using those version. Is that what we want?
My proposal would be to have something like this on the XML page:

<MyModel.v1.vom-dml.xml>  —- [<MyModel.v1.0.vom-dml.xml>  <MyModel.v1.1.vom-dml.xml>  <MyModel.v1.2.vom-dml.xml> ]

where <MyModel.v1.vom-dml.xml> is redirected to <MyModel.v1.2.vom-dml.xml>
So that any documents could safely refer to <MyModel.v1.vom-dml.xml>

> Be that as it may: a filled-out uri element (missing in all the
> vo-dml files in the repo so far) is important to me because MIVOT
> requires the URL of the models in the model declarations.  DaCHS has
> local copies of those[1] and hence can't easily tell what URIs they
> may prefer.
for tne record:
The MIVOT schema requires MODEL at url not be empty IF PRESENT.
<MODEL name=“MyModel”/> is valid.

I like the Paul's idea of encouraging the usage of short URLs e.g. "MyModel.v1.vom-dml.xml” and letting clients
getting them from their favorite place (file:// or https://ivoa.net <https://ivoa.net/>…)
This must be clarified in the MODEL section of MIVOT.

Would this help DACHS for dealing with documents with empty uri?

> So, either the models give that themselves, or I have to provide a
> local mapping in DaCHS, the latter obviously being ugly and brittle.

I do not follow you, if you need the document to get its URI,  you must first have that URI to get the document.
AS Paul said, you can cross-check the document URI with its content by using <name><version> elements.
No need of any <uri> element.

> So... who will fill in the uri-s?

Thus, I’m not sure we need to.

> Thanks,
>
>            Markus
>
> [1] Talking about which: I'd also appreciate if there were a
> statement somewhere that these files are CC-0.  Please don't leave
> them under the document's CC-BY, because I could then not
> (realistially) distribute them with my code.

A CC-0 label on the top of the XML files would be nice.
Do you we need errata for this?

Laurent