MIVOT: fully qualified attribute names

Patrick Dowler pdowler.cadc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:00:32 CET 2023

Laurent: thanks for the example showing clearly the choice being made:

>We can see that the point of contention with Markus is limited to a small
sequence: 5.1:
>using VODML/NAME or VODML/VOMDL-ID to build MIVOT roles.

This made me think about how name and vodml-id are related so I went and
looked in my own CAOM vodml to see if the name was always the "end" of the
id. It turns out generally yes and that make sense to me (because who wants
to come up with two names for the same thing - one is hard enough).  I did
find a case in the CAOM vodml where they were not and it's valid
(schematron validation). That's fine by itself, but...

then I noticed that two attributes of the class had the same name (because
I added a new attribute by copying and while I changed the vodml-id I
missed changing the name, so that VODML essentially says that a object has
two attributes with the same name. I wrote a test case, made sure I had the
latest vodml xsd and sch files, and that validation was working (if I make
the vodml-id values the same, validation fails).

test case attached.

thoughts?

--
Patrick Dowler