DM Workshop wrap-up

Laurent Michel laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Thu Jul 15 11:36:54 CEST 2021

Dear DM,

Last Tuesday we had our last DM workshop meeting.
This concluded a fruitful 7-month process whose main conclusions and prospects are listed below.

An overview of the work done has been presented by LM (https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/Dm2021/MAY2021-ws41.pdf <https://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/Dm2021/MAY2021-ws41.pdf>)

Conclusions in short
================

	• Models:
		• Meas, Coord, PhotDM, Dataset, Cube and MANGO accepted
		• New use-cases to be investigated
			• X-RAY Astronomy
			• Asteroids, multi-core datasets
			• CTA and MM astronomy : meta-data characterization

	• Data Provider / client specific use-cases
		• Need for annotations to help processing spectra
		• Need to associate parameters
		• Need for a simple description of the photometric calibration
		• Need for a simple view on Provenance
		• Annotation on the fly feasible
		• Model-based PyVO API easy to design

	• Mapping syntax
		• Divergence between the 2 proposals (VODML mapping and ModelInstanceInVot)
		• Proof of concept for a YAML serialization of model instances

Annotation
=========
An important effort has been made over the last 6 weeks to merge the 2 syntax proposals:
• see on https://github.com/ivoa-std/ModelInstanceInVot <https://github.com/ivoa-std/ModelInstanceInVot>

• 3 items available so far:
	• Overview diagram
	• XSD1.1  schema + test suite
	• Annotated data samples

And now
=======
There is a steep roadmap to put all of this stuff in PR.
Any contributions are welcome.

• Our efforts will be first focused on the annotation:
	• To facilitate the model reference implementations
	• To give developers tools to exercice the processing of annotated data.
• We will keep the WG informed on the progress

Workshop material:

- Wiki : https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/Dm2021 <https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/Dm2021>
- Usecase repo: https://github.com/ivoa/dm-usecases <https://github.com/ivoa/dm-usecases>
- Interop presentations : https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DMWorkshop <https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DMWorkshop>

Thanks again to all the contributors as well as to all the people who devoted time to follow the work

Laurent - Jesus