[meas] RFC comment - MD #1

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Sep 20 22:54:56 CEST 2019

As I understand it, the discussion of RFC comments should go in the mail
list and the resolution posted to the twiki.
Several of Markus' comments were addressed in his thread, but I'll add some
more.

"(1) I would at least like to see one "catalogue data" use case. I will
contribute one if you ask me, but frankly, I'd say the VizieR
<https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/VizieR> people have the most
comprehensive picture of what kinds of errors are out there and what people
do with them. The very least, I guess, would be "A client wants to plot
error bars without further user intervention"."

The use cases for this effort has been established for some years now.
This doesn't seem to be the appropriate time to add.

The catalogue case is being considered via the Source properties thread
that has been featured in the past couple interops.  That effort will
determine new requirements, most of which will be satisfied by extending
the measurement model content (eg: for a Redshift measure).  It may
generate new requirements on the core model.. which would need to be
considered at that point.

Mark