PR#2 for Provenance DM

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 3 17:21:04 CEST 2019

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 6:09 AM Markus Demleitner <
msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:

> Hi Laurent,
>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2019 at 10:36:18AM +0200, Laurent MICHEL wrote:
> > Connection with Semantic
> > ========================
> > No doubt that connecting models and semantic is a good thing, but the
> way to
> > do it is not clear to me.
> > An attribute with a limited set of possible values must be typed as an
> Enum.
> > The Enum is a UML (and VO-DML) dataType which has to be defined in the
> > model.
>
> VO-DML as it stands already has a link to vocabularies through
> SemanticConcept, which, however, requires SKOS vocabularies.  These
> are not really what I'd consider ideal for these little word lists
> for various reasons (cf. the current internal draft for the
> future Vocabularies spec, http://docs.g-vo.org/vocinvo2.pdf).
>
> So, while we could use SKOS and it would probably the quickest
> "formal" solution, let's look at alternatives:

The Coords model uses
   + vocabularies for reference frame, reference position, and time scale.
      which are fairly dynamic, likely to need changes.  For these, it was
decided to
      scale down the rather set of values from the earlier draft Enums,
into a small
      set of most commonly used, and let the vocabulary grow as needed.
      This also let the Planetary folks work their needs in as well.
  + but would still have Enums for things with a fairly short list of
options which
     which are not likely to change.  For example, we still have a
Handedness enum.

and Simulation uses them (right?)

I'm not sure which category the ones in Provenance fall under.  I know that
during the work to get here, there was effort made to distinguish items
which
are 'free form', but should use a 'term from a recommended list', and things
which must have particular values (Enums).

Mark