Prov-WD: AgentType descriptions confusing

Ole Streicher ole at aip.de
Fri Jul 12 12:05:43 CEST 2019

Hi again,

the descriptions in the "AgentType" enumeration (table 6, pg.19) are a
bit confusing and partially unnecessarily restrictive:

* Person: a person, specified by name, email, address (though all these
parts may change in time)

* SoftwareAgent: a software agent is running software, e.g. a cron job
or a trigger

First, the person is (in provenance) *not* specified by their (volatile)
name, email, or address, but by their id. Having attributes is not
specific for Persons agents. I would propose to remove the part after
the comma.

Second, an organization must not be restricted to the list shown there;
also f.e. a technical working group is an organization. I would propose
to (mainly) take over the W3C definition here.

Third, I would remove the redundant "a software agent is" from the
SoftwareAgent description to make the form consistent to the other two.

Patch is attached.

Best regards

Ole