Coordinates model - Working draft.

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jan 24 21:21:50 CET 2019

All,

Got some additional feedback from Ada off-line which should be folded into
the next iteration of the document.. see below:

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 3:08 PM CresitelloDittmar, Mark <
mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Ada,
>
> Thank you for this input.. I'll address your points here, but also send a
> follow-up to the mail list on items which should go into the next iteration
> of the WD.
>

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:42 AM AdaNebot <ada.nebot at astro.unistra.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> Thanks for your work putting all this together. Great job!
>>
>> Since this model does concern time domain, I feel I should give some
>> feedback… I could send some of my questions to the DM list but I would like
>> to have an outside discussion with you too. Of course you are free to
>> forward this email to anyone you consider necessary. Even reply in the DM
>> list if you think that would bring something positive. I’ve put Arnold in
>> CC.
>>
>> First, I’m extremely sorry for my huge email, but I do want to get to
>> understand some details.
>>
>> So here are some comments in particular on section 6, package
>> domain.time:
>> All the information written in section 6 package domain.time, page 26 was
>> already shared by Arnold, back in 2017 during the Shanghai meeting:
>> http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/voevent/2017-May/003097.html and
>> supported by the TDIG as stated in the TDIG twiki page:
>> https://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/DAL_DM_TDIG
>> so +1 from my side.
>>
>> Point 6 end of the paragraph: “I assume we will be sticking with TT and
>> TDB…” —> Remove that sentence from the text. I understand this is not a
>> final version, but still no point in leaving it there.
>>

> You are the second to mention that this.
>   ACTION:  I'll remove the assumption sentence, and leave this bullet
> with the TCG,TCB,TDB text and "More in the cited A&A paper"
>

>> *Section 6.1.1. TimeFrame.refPosition *
>> type: coords.domain.space.RefLocation “The spatial location at which the
>> coordinate is considered to have been take from”.
>> Shouldn't there be a pointer to a vocabulary here as it is done for the
>> timescale? I’m thinking here GEOCENTER, BARYCENTER,… and what has already
>> been discussed in other emails.
>> Also, a name can be a location but indicating (long,lat,height) is also a
>> location but with a completely different format. I would expect this to be
>> more specific and mention the kind of format this should have. If this is
>> meant to be free for interpretation, then I think it should be stated like
>> that.
>>

> The RefLocation type is abstract, and has both StdRefLocation (vocabulary)
> and CustomRefLocation subtypes.  I tend to not re-state the options at
> places where abstract types are used, unless there is something specific
> about that usage worth stating.  Since RefLocation is used both here and in
> refDirection, it might be useful to elaborate here.
>    ACTION: add text to description..
>    "In this model, RefLocation supports locations provided as either a
> [...]

There are additional questions regarding representing a particular scenario
which will feed into the other actions on describing the supported cases,
corresponding derived requirements, and example files.
Will follow-up as that solidifies.

Mark