Coordinates model - Working draft.

Laurent MICHEL laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
Tue Jan 22 10:37:04 CET 2019

Markus,

To me, the scope of a model is to properly describe and to properly put
together all quantities used in a current domain.
Time domain people are using MJD for decades, thus the STC model has to
describe what is a MJD.
The design of a model shouldn't have to care about a specific data
serialization. The only connection I see between a modeling effort and
data serialization is the necessity of keeping models as simple as
possible because they must be comprehensive for implementers and they
will have to be mapped on real data at some point.

The hidden key point in this discussion is the way to do that mapping.
The mapping as a bridge between model and real data is very close to the
serialization.
IMO there is no proposal with a good balance between completeness,
flexibility and simplicity yet. But the never-ending mapping story
shouldn't impact the design of on-going models

Cheers
LM

Le 15/01/2019 à 13:42, Markus Demleitner a écrit :
> Hi Laurent,
>
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:51:54AM +0100, Laurent MICHEL wrote:
>> I believe that the scope of models must not be limited just because there is
>> a risk of de-synchronization between model stuff and data. This risk is
>
> So... What *is* the scope of the model?  I have, so far, assumed
> the STC model will
>
> (a) organise quantities to complete space-time coordinates (i.e.
> where, when, d/dt where) and
> (b) associate frames with these coordinates.
>
> Do we agree up to here?  Would you like to widen the scope?
No I won't.

--
---- Laurent MICHEL              Tel  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 37
      Observatoire de Strasbourg  Fax  (33 0) 3 68 85 24 32
      11 Rue de l'Universite      Mail laurent.michel at astro.unistra.fr
      67000 Strasbourg (France)   Web  http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~michel
---