String Measurement with STC2

CresitelloDittmar, Mark mdittmar at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Aug 30 18:04:01 CEST 2019

Laurent,

To answer the primary question:
  Yes, the models do allow for 'discrete' data, and this is exercised with
the Polarization object.
  The values (coord) are PolCoordValue types from the coordinates model,
which are Enumerations (matching your second use case).

My expectation for Source model is that it will define other properties
which extend Measure in much
the same way as the current suite ( Position, Velocity, ProperMotion, Time,
Polarization ).  By extending
Measure, they will automatically be usable in Cube-s.

As for non-numeric data.. it really depends on what the string represents.
  e.g. "Q" =  Stokes Polarization.

In your examples, a MOC or STC-S string do not equate to Measure.
STC-S = a standardized serialization for specific sets of STC-1.33 objects.
o The string itself maps to a set of complex objects, not a single value
o  It spans more of STC-1.33 than is covered by the new component models
(Coords, Meas, Trans).
   So, while it should be possible to express a Measurement instance as an
STC-S string, not all STC-S
   strings can be resolved into NEW component model instances.  For
example, STC-S includes Regions
   and Intervals, as well as some properties not covered (Spectral) in the
current Measurement model.

So, when working the Source model, it'll be important to identify which
Properties can extend Measure
(or reuse components thereof), and what concepts are 'missing' (eg: Region).

Mark