New ProvenanceDM working draft released, part I

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Tue Oct 17 23:59:45 CEST 2017

Hi Tim, DM,

> As another data point, LSST will have the ability to attach a WCS to
> a raw image that is derived by looking at 1000 processed images. We
> will be tracking the provenance of that WCS and its inputs and have
> to attach it to the raw data as provenance. If someone asks for “all
> the inputs” they are not really going to want all 1000 processed
> images. They need those to exactly reproduce the processed image they
> will generate from that updated raw image but it’s clearly distinct
> in the provenance tree.
>
> To be more concrete, if you now coadd two images that came from raw
> data that had WCS derived from 1000 other images, when someone says
> “what went into that coadd” they probably mean the two parent images
> and possibly the two raw data files.
That's interesting!
If one tries to model it in a clean way, then I think one should model
an activity "add WCS" for each raw image, which takes the raw image,
1000 other images and produces a new raw image with the WCS information
attached.
Since I like it visually, I've created an image for this using draw.io, see

https://www.draw.io/?title=lsst-coadd.html#Uhttps%3A%2F%2Fraw.githubusercontent.com%2Fkristinriebe%2Fprovenance-images%2Fmaster%2Flsst-coadd.html

(It's also attached it as png.)
Would you also model it this way? With or without the brown
wasDerivedFrom relations?

Cheers,
Kristin

Dr. Kristin Riebe
Press and Public Outreach

Email: kriebe at aip.de, webmaster at aip.de
Phone: +49 331 7499-377
Room:  Bib/3
Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Matthias Winker
Stiftung bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: 26 742-00/7026